Monday, March 21, 2016

Is it True Happiness, or is it the Coffee?

I am so incredibly hyped up on Caffeine that I can hardly sit still.

Why does my body CRAVE coffee?

This afternoon, I’m drinking DE-caffeinated Earl Grey tea. Probably filled with terrible chemical residue, but it sure tastes good. I feel my heart thrumming.

Years ago, friend Linda Dare sent me a post card I still keep visible: Line drawing of a wiry gal with angular features holding a huge cup & saucer. Here's the caption:

She thought for the first time in her life she was truly happy, but it was only the coffee.

I do get so much more done in a day that includes at least one cup. I cannot sleep soundly if I have more than one or ANY past noon.

Do I learn? Nope.

What cranks me, though is this: the hyper nature doesn’t necessarily make good choices regarding HOW to use the energy my innards seem to generate when high on a cuppa. More hours go into answering email and the black hole of FaceBook than into writing - which is what I proclaimed I came to Oakland to do… and being with the Grandie… which is also more fun when my caffeinated self can match her seemingly boundless energy.

The other night, she seemed to have had an IV of double shot dark roast. She asked for lullabies then bounced on my supine form giggling maniacally at my inability to sing while her fingers pressed up against my Adam’s apple. Actually, we both giggled like mad! There was LOTS of vibrato in that night’s rendition of the Beatles, “Now it’s time to say good night…”

Then, today, I met with a mentor over the telephone (and over a cup of coffee). She is such a gem, and is guiding me to sharpen my determination to write, helping me to sift and sort through pieces I’ve already written, and to see which pieces hang together well. I had the image of a great gal pal standing next to me with the pieces spread out on the floor - like articles of clothing - and the two of us holding each one up, and squinting, to see which pieces go well together. Soothing image.

Perhaps, the coffee may be useful, when I neeeeeeed to stay up late to meet a publisher’s deadline. Until then, may I have enough wisdom to discern: Does this day call for mediCation or for mediTation?

No comments:

Post a Comment