Sunday, September 18, 2016

Roots

Shifting sands, take a stand

Dad said we were Cherokee

Or was it what he preferred?

Made it up to set him free?



Who knows where the Maxwell fits

Dad said we came from James Clerk

Electro magnetism

Was Scottsman Maxwell’s heart’s work



What are we to believe?

Do we do as daddy could?

Make it up as we go?

Is changing history good?



Misplaced babe, not your peeps?

No matter, choose your kin

Daddy did what pleased him

Truth bending, his smallest sin



Wait a sec, who am I?

Who are my real ancestors?

I'd like to know. It would help

Antagonistic flexors



Africans ripped from their land

Connections torn asunder

Cherokee same as me

Land taken just for plunder



Roots grow plants, people too

What of our rootless drama?

Longing, we want to hear

Our name claimed by the mama



Babes settle in Mother’s arms

Without her we cannot thrive

Churned, we’ve turned to wicked ways

Seeking nurture our big drive




Syrians are bereft

Their heartland’s being destroyed

Free-floating people want their home

More than food or being employed



This little land of mine

It’s gonna help me shine

Ground me, I’ll find my way HOME

It’s where my heart is… rooted
















No comments:

Post a Comment