Monday, June 15, 2015

Mixed Bag

Hey, D. Mencha Don’cha mention my name! I heard you call my Mama, I heard you call my Pa I hear you calling my dear friend who’ll never be the same. Once you call them, they must come and lose themselves each day Little bit by little bit I see them slip away So forget you ever knew me, forget I have a name Don’t ever EVER call me D.Mencha, ‘cause you SLAY. You slay the mind you slay the speech You slay the memory too You think you’re tough, but not enough To slay me, I'm watchin' you I’ll eat my greens, and vitamins Exercise and rest I’ll eat blueberries till I turn blue I’ll put you to the test Neener, neener, Slick and Sly one Catch me if you can I’ll laugh and play and live my life I’m stickin’ to my plan Pfthththtfffffbbbbbttttttt! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I spent time with a high school buddy in L.A. last week, who is struggling with this Demon Dementia. It's so very hard to watch her mind unravel, and yet, she's still her essential self - fun-loving, funny and with a great sense of humor that still shows up in actions, if not words. We laughed a lot. We played guitar. We walked and talked about old times and dear folks we both know. We ate, and watched Annie Hall and toured the garden in the unexpected rain. Dementia is unexpected. It's not supposed to happen to those we love, yet it does. Pisses me off, (just for the record.) I'm royally pissed with no outlet for the scream. No target, no repository for rage. The invitation to "be with what is while it is the way it is" has been extended. I'm doin' the best I can with that invite. I wonder what I'd do if similarly afflicted. Overdose of something sounds promising... but without a plan in place before need... it's impossible to hold a thought to execute it if the dreaded D calls. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * This afternoon, family arrived from L.A. Healthy, stealthy, and close-knit - this family puts the FUN in functional. All four plus my Grandie, who is now SIX, are sweetly slumbering here, as I write. I love having a house-full! Only took four stories and eight lullabies to settle the grandie down for sleep. She gets so wound up with her cousins, Auntie and Uncle here! * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * When the DEEEELIGHTFUL D calls, she floats my boat on a sea of joy. When grandchildren read to grandparents, there's a race to see who can stay awake longest. She won. Awe arises in hearing her read so fluently. She read. I read. She read again. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Stephen Curry floats along, making baskets hither and yon. The Warriors won and it was fun to see the last few points.

No comments:

Post a Comment