Monday, June 22, 2015

A Watched Pot...

I'm watching the pot. In it are simmering onions, leeks, and potatoes.

At the Farmer’s Market, I ask the vender which potatoes she thinks are best for Vichyssoise.


Not familiar with the dish, she asks, “What’s vicious saws?”


“ Vee-she-swahz,” I say, “Leek and potato soup.”


“Oh, sounds good. Depends on if you want it chunky or creamy?”


“Doesn’t matter. It all goes in the blender”, I say.


“I think these German Butterballs might be just right.”


“Should I worry about German potatoes acting up in a French soup?” I ask her jokingly.


“They still don’t get along well, do they?” she chuckles


“Seems the whole world doesn’t get along recently… except maybe here in Oakland since the Warriors victory has united folks. Thanks for the guidance… Say, do you want to hear the recipe for Vichyssoise?”


“Yeah. What is it?”


“First, you take a leek (leak)…”


(Her puzzled face slowly draws into a grin…) “Ewww… I get it. I’ll try and remember that one! Good day to ya.”


“And to you,” I say, walking away with fresh leeks, potatoes, kale, cukes and chard in the bag.



I wish we humans could get along as well as veggies in the pot seem to do.



The Kingston Trio sang their Merry Minuet in the ’60’s:


They’re rioting in Africa, they’re starving in Spain

There are hurricanes in Florida, and Texas needs rain

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls;

The French hate the Germans, Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch

And I don’t like anybody very much!



But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud

Man’s been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud

And we know for certain that some lovely day

Someone will set the spark off

and we will all be blown away



They’re rioting in Africa, there’s strife in Iran

What Nature doesn’t do to us

Will be done by our fellow man.




Blessings on Pope Francis who’s thrown his two cents into the pot about global warming being caused by humans.
I’m hopeful the actions he proposes we take are not too little too late!


And Thank You, Barack Obama for suggesting that grieving along with the community in Charleston, South Carolina,
now at the effect of Dylan Storm Roof’s insanity, is not enough. We have the power to change our status in the world as the country with the highest death rate due to gun violence perpetrated by citizen against citizen.

When will the NRA be proven wrong for saying that guns don’t kill people; people kill people? People without guns are less likely to kill other people with their bare hands.


According to the Wall Street Journal, the winning states in the contest for most deaths perpetrated by people with guns, whether suicide or homicide are:

1.Louisiana

2.Mississippi

3.Alaska

4.Wyoming

5.Oklahoma

6.Montana

7.Arkansas

8.Alabama

9.New Mexico

10.South Carolina


States with strong gun laws have seen dramatic declines in violence, while states with weak gun laws have not seen declines. Overall, there has been a 10% increase in gun violence in the last ten years.


Can we say, “insanity,” boys and girls?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Something palpably magical is happening here in Oakland. Having won the Basketball Championship over the Cleveland Cavaliers, celebrations are occurring, and the whole city seems to be melting. Hearts are expanding, eyes are twinkling, bliss seems to unify all the citizens as if Joy is the common heart rhythm. Who knows how long this tide of commonality in ebullient elation may wash over us? Not even the events in Charleston have re-erected the barriers.

Dare I hope this heart-warming effect may linger long enough to become the new norm?



Standing in line at the post office late Friday afternoon, I asked a mom and her ten year old daughter if they had been to the parade.

Their eyes glistened beneath the bills of their Warriors caps. Their chests puffed proudly, expanding the lettering on their Warriors T-shirts.

“Oh,YES” they exalted, and regaled me with their favorite highlights until it was their turn to be served at the window.

They waved to me as they left. I was warmed by the nourishing exchange.


Oakland is a good place to practice what my husband calls affirmative inter-action. There’s a rainbow of possibilities when I have choice to rub shoulders and share conversation with folks who, on the surface, look different from how I look. Once rubbed, we find we’re made of the same material - driven by the same human heart rhythm thrumming away.


Friday a week ago, several colleagues and I gathered at a friend's house for fireside camaraderie. Two of the gals taught us this “repeat-after-me-song.” We chanted after Brandy and Andrea, each of us patting the rhythm with palm over our heart.



I can hear my heart beat
(I can hear my heart beat)


Listen to the rhythm of the freedom song
(Listen to the rhythm of the freedom song)


When I feel that beat in me, I can set my spirit free
(When I feel that beat in me, I can set my spirit free)


I’m liking this pot of heart-melting soup here in Oakland very much, and being nourished by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment