Sunday, April 7, 2013

With Listening Eyes


Everyone and every creature has a story. I don’t know Paul’s, but since my friend Mbali introduced me to him a year or so ago, I chat with him whenever we chance to meet when we are out walking our separate ways - he with his two small dogs, and I from errands on the boulevard.

Parts of his story I have pieced together include: 1) Paul is not tied to a 9-5 job; 2) he’s from Jamaica (well, listening ears tell me that); and 3) he has nursed more than a few critters back to health - one being a three-legged Chihuahua several months back.

Today, on my return from the Farmer’s Market, I am walking through the park as usual, and here is Paul and his two off-leash Chihuahuas. “La La” and “Charlie” are sniffing under a picnic bench and Paul draws my attention to a squirrel which just doesn’t look right. You know how you can tell when a creature is “off” in some way; in pain or off balance? This little guy is sitting at the base of a tall sycamore, has a swollen left front paw and there is a crease - not a bloody wound, but a crease on its same side rear haunch.

The story my eyes hear is that this rodent has recently met with a larger predator - perhaps a coyote or cat, or maybe of the four-wheeled variety. From my market bag, I pull out some unsalted peanuts in the shell. The squirrels in this park are very docile and tame. Normally, they approach people boldly to ask for food. They are seemingly  unafraid of humans. “Rodent X”, at first, appears to be fearless as Paul approaches with peanuts in hand. Unfortunately, La La and Charlie smell competition and slide adeptly along their jealous streak - chasing Rodent X up the nearest tree.

Our eyes discern that the squirrel’s Fight/Flight responses are still intact. Up he scuttles, slowly and in a slightly lop-sided manner, but UP nonetheless. He is out of harm’s way. Paul gently scolds his pups. Compassion oozes out of him. His grey blue eyes cloud over and his coffee colored brow furrows with concern for the hurt one. My listening eyes see that, among other things, we have freckles in common.

As I must get home in time for an appointment, I don’t hang around long enough to see whether or not Paul has success giving away the nuts to the hurt one, but out of the corner of my eye, I observe three other very fat squirrels closing in on Paul, his dogs and the peanuts as I cross the grass to the nearby park exit. Hmmm... who is predator and who is prey in this scenario? My listening eyes tell me Paul has been on the receiving side of hurt before, and that therein may lie the source of his great compassion.

A few steps beyond the picnic bench, I see a clump of squirrel fur that would fit precisely in that crease on little Rodent X’s back leg. 

As it does with a puzzle, my mind chews on the clues. What can have happened here? What’s the story? What’s Paul’s story?

When next I write to Mbali, who has moved back to South Africa, I’ll ask her about Paul. Last time he and I met, he asked me to say his “hello” to her. The next time I see Paul, I’ll ask him about the squirrel and also about the three-legged dog. I want to know “The Rest of the Story” - to quote another Paul... Paul Harvey of decades long radio fame.

No comments:

Post a Comment