Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Perfect Date


Isn't it Romantic?

My beloved and I went out on a super date last Tuesday. It was discount day for seniors at Ross Dress for Less. We looked at shoes. Not finding Crocs or anything else useful in the shoe department, we wandered on. I left him in one section while I went searching for black jeans to replace my holey ones. I’ve been wearing the same jeans to camp for more than 13 years. They look overly well-used - even for camp.

Both Camp Ronald McDonald and The painted Turtle camp, where we both volunteer, (he - much more often than I), have extensive selections of dress-up clothes for use by campers, their families and counselors who wish to transform themselves for the dance, stage night, a camp-fire skit, or just because. There are dresses and suits and velvet jackets, hats of every kind, sashes and trousers and shoes, oh, my!

One of my beloved’s uses for dress-up is as a prize. 

“Hey Cabin Ten! If you can beat me in this word game, I’ll come to breakfast tomorrow all dressed up.”

You’ve got to know... the kids always win. Funny how that works.

For this story, you must know also that my husband has some hygiene issues. He keeps a bottle of hand-gel at the ready on his belt-loop. He prefers to use the toilet at home to any public restroom. He disdains second hand shops and isn’t even keen on using the familiar and plentiful dress-up clothes array at either camp - simply because other people have used them!

When we met at the cash register, I showed him mine and he showed me his find: a lovely short-sleeved, green and black, striped, ankle-length dress! Quite the find!

We were pleased with our purchases and high-tailed it to Sharkey’s for a little dinner.

Quite the date for us!

And... Guess what he wore to breakfast at camp this morning!? 

And what a lovely frock it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment