Monday, August 6, 2012

Blue Moon Target Practice


Did you SEE that Full Moon last Thursday? The second day of August is Lughnassadh on the Celtic Calendar, and it is the cross-quarter Celebration of the Harvest (between Summer Solstice and Autumnal Equinox). What a Harvest Moon it was! There’ll be another August 31.  The second of two full moons within the same month or the third in a season is called a “Blue Moon!” I wonder why.

A few days before the full moon is the perfect time to rid ourselves of what’s no longer needed. In the garden it’s a time for weeding out. Ditto the closets, drawers, storage units, garage... even the mind clutter can be hacked away to good advantage during that window just before the full moon.

Not sure exactly HOW to make a dent in the mind clutter... other than diligent meditation practice... but that’s an on-going project, not a once-a-month-endeavor. I missed doing any real “clean out” last Thursday, so I’m glad to have another opportunity at the end of the month! Just setting the intention to diminish what’s not serving us may set the ball rolling. As the moon wanes, it’s said to take into the darkness with it, all we release with intention. Some folks write down what they want to be rid of and burn the paper!

**************************************************

Sunday evening, I delighted in celebrating some birthdays of Buddies from Belmont High School. We were eight gals who gathered and pot-lucked and shared the bounty of our personal harvests since the last time we were together. Swimming, BBQing salmon and sweet corn, story-telling, eating way too much and waaay too many sweet things. At least I know WHAT I’ll be releasing to the waning moon about August 29! My sugar craving has got to GO!

I am developing more compassion for those I love who suffer from some sort of addiction - including myself. Addiction is as strong a force as the tides, magnetism or true love, only it is a false love and leaves us crippled; less whole and ravaged in the wake of its grip. I awoke Monday morning with aches and stiffness completely avoidable... except that the damn brownies and peach pie and (even gluten-free) cookies that my thoughtful friend brought to the feast tasted so GOOOD!

While walking one of my guests out to her car we chatted about the compulsion to buy STUFF and how it comes up when we’re feeling “empty” inside. Compulsions, addictions and habits that numb us against the angst and pain life deals us are perfect projectiles for lobbing at the full moon. I think I’ll imagine a bullseye on it and pray for accuracy and that the moon fulfills the promise of taking away my weakness as it ebbs.

Cant’ wait for August 29!

Meanwhile... back to mindfulness. One moment at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment