Sunday, February 3, 2019

Love, Love, Love, Love, Love!

It's in the air.

February is the month lovers are reminded to do something (by Hallmark and candy sellers) to honor their beloved.

For my beloved and me, the anniversary of our meeting (1-2-1972) always re-kindles the disbelief we share in our great good fortune to have met.

He sat reading the bookbindings while the party was happening behind him. My friend said, “Mark, come join us." He did and told the funniest story about arriving in LA in 1969 with four flat tires he hoped to fix with his first pay check, but the bank wouldn't cash it. 


Righteously angry, he stormed out. Behind him, the bank door shattered. Aaack. He ran-walked home, changed clothes and went back to work. 

Laughing so hard at his acting out the story, I nearly peed my pants. 

Humor! I fell in love immediately… forty-seven years ago.



That's 100 words!

OK... how do you tell a love story in 100 words... tweets? (I don't tweet) On FaceBook? Nah.  I wouldn't dare post material this sensitive. Sending to a magazine that's soliciting such stories? That may be just the ticket!

Hmmm... how to hone a love story to a distilled and delicious roux that captures the essence... Give it a go, Melinda! Give it a go.

Other salient points may need to be cut, maybe even the details of the story he told that day... maybe just say that he made me laugh. Maybe, say when he called the following Tuesday to ask me out,  I was moved and tickled and loved the sound of his voice.

Maybe the end-of-the-first-date-kiss which I initiated is important.  After all, the story I wish to tell is about my falling in love with him.

What other details are important? Oh, on the second date deciding to get married but waiting four months to give his NY family time to make travel arrangements.

Or, maybe the bit about calling his brother to tell him the news, and his brother's excited enthusiasm... or, his sister's delight... or, his father saying, look I can't even take care of my own life, how can I tell you what to do with yours? Definitely, his mother's very long, very loud SCREAM (I heard it all the way from NY to California!), when Mark told her he was going to marry me after only a month long courtship... and that I was a shiksa


As Valentine's Day approaches, I'm struck by the appropriateness of writing about love. I know several couples whose love for one another seems to have increased over the years

Love abounds in February as well as every other month. I wonder if some couples have a favorite time of year to be amorous?  Our time seems to be year long, including during the summer when he's at summer camps for the duration... and we miss one another mightily.

Love  Love  Love  Love  Love  Love  Love  Love  Love

Here is another found poem from a recent entry of a piece I wrote on 750words.com 

Kinda fun! They tell you what words you used most often in writing that day! Did I mention the first month on 750w0rds.com is free?




another called essence

four give he her 
him his long love 

mark maybeme my over 

she story told years



Happy Valentine's Day





No comments:

Post a Comment