Monday, August 8, 2016

Cowlicks, Spiders, and Weddings

Cowlicks

The hairdresser looks puzzled when I remind her not to cut too short around that pesky cowlick. I think back to The Little Rascals of my young TV-watching days.

“How does it look when you first get up in the morning?”

“Alfalfa," I say, "Or like a dog has walked around in circles trampling the grass before lying down.”

“Oh, so shall we try to keep a little length up there?”

“Yeah, that’ll probably help cover the bald spot where the pillow tramples it.”

“OK, then,” she says, “That’s what we’ll do, we’ll leave it longer.”



Spiders

A mama spider has been guarding her egg sac on the wood siding of our front porch. For weeks her legs have been spanning the white dime-size circle of dense webbing. She used to move across it, from side to side ever so slowly. For more than a week now, she hasn’t moved. She looks desiccated and lifeless. I wonder if her babies will use her body for first food.

She has built her nest just above the memorial fountain we brought from Southern California. I say good morning and good night to her, as well as my Mama Barbara, for whom the memorial garden was created. Every morning, and every night, when I plug in and unplug the electric motor that makes the fountain water cascade into its blue catch basin. I was hoping the potential water spray would help mama spider survive until the little spiders hatch. I’m not sure she’s still alive. I hope her babies make it. Mosquito catchers are handy!





WEddings

Wedding preparations for our younger daughter and her husband to become a family unit of "we" are coming along nicely. I’m so thankful for Thrift Town, a second-hand shop nearby that has very inexpensive curtains. Washed and ironed, they will aid in the decorating process. They're now ready to soften the venue our daughter chose for the celebration party later this month. When I was in L.A. last week, a friend and I went to three different thrift stores and came away with eighty-five tea cups. I’ve been planting cute little succulents in each cup to be used as table setting accents and take-home gifts. What fun to re-purpose old stuff into new life. My husband and I can relate: repurposing our older bodies into new life as hands-on grandparental units since our move to the Bay Area has been a creative joy.




(Photo uploading frustrates me. Maybe later.)



No comments:

Post a Comment