Sunday, December 20, 2015

Solstice

Darkness yields to light within the next four days.

December 21 marks the longest night, the shortest day.

It’s all in the tilt of our axis. That’s what makes the seasons.

Traditionally, early agricultural folk in the deep of winter culled the seeds, roots, and tubers that were not viable, and pursued other quieter activities than they enjoyed during summer.

Soul-stice. Be still my soul.

What’s the bustle about?

Why such human doings?

Hibernation is the appropriate activity at this time of year.

Conserve.

The reality from end of November through January First, in our modern consumer culture, is more like this:

My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light!
Edna St. Vincent Millay

We modern folk thumb our noses at tradition.

Oh, ye of bright light cell phones and instant iTunes, the world is at your fingertips - 24/7.

When do YOU go dark? When do you turn within to inquire what is true for you?

Taking inventory, I see what a year it’s been. I see where I came from; where I want to go from here. I see where some of my shortcomings are. Others are invisible to me. 20/20 hindsight being what it is… I have regrets, and a plan to use whatever resources are at my disposal to rectify my ooopses.

May this, the shortest day, be spent exactly as you like. May the dark fall gently about your shoulders in a comforting hug of welcomed absence of things to do.

This is the first year I have not decorated one whit. Not a card is up, not a candle is lit. Not a pine bough to be seen…

In some ways, I feel I should pull out all the stops for the Grandie’s sake, but just don’t seem to have it in me to do so. I only just got Thanksgiving put away!

’tis the season for folks to find their exit. One friend is dying. One died on Monday.

I’m glad our daughter has hosted several snow-flake cutting parties and has decorated to the nth degree over at her house! Their winter tree couldn’t hold one more ornament! Tiny as it is, it is gorgeous!

On the actual factual solstice, we will do our same little ceremony here by the fire - writing out what hasn’t worked during the past year, burning that, and writing out a seed to nurture in 2016 - symbolically planting it in the deep receiving earth to be kept safe ’til the light returns. I've kept over thirty years worth of seed lists.

Reviewing them is a trip through what has seemed important. The list gets simpler, shorter, distilled. Redux. Music is always in that seed to nurture, as are friendships, good communication with family, and between countries and all fractious factions.

There was a lovely Advent Celebration and Christmas play Sunday, presented by the children at the church I've been attending irregularly here in Oakland. I cried and took to my marrow the dearness of community working together to make a better world, honoring the children whose hopes and dreams are worth keeping alive.

Whether you write out resolutions, seeds, or shopping lists, may your candles burn bright against the black velvet night. Only one end burning is enough.

May peace and cooler heads prevail.

Deep peace be with you.

1 comment:

  1. I will always think of you on the Solstice and remember our shared one in 1999. Gentle greetings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete