Monday, May 5, 2014

Thirteen Ways of Looking at Mother

With thanks to Andrea Beard for Friday morning’s prompt in our Creative Life Writing Class. The prompt is based on
Wallace Stevens Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird

Thirteen Ways of Looking at Mother

And we all know.... if it isn’t one thing... it’s your mother... try to be kind... try to remember the sweet parts... I’m trying... with greater or lesser success... I’m trying


I

2012
One head
Two unseeing eyes
Triangular nose
Lips, pursed over now missing teeth,
Belie once voluptuous smile


II 

I remember the particularity of that gesture
When a thing is no longer wanted
She tosses it definitively 
Lets it go almost in disgust, fingers flicking
As if the thing burns
When the thing is no longer wanted


III

Her heart beat, an anchor
Rocking,
My ear leaning into that rhythm,
Echoing down the decades
Steadying my life even now



IV

Twilight
Star light
Jedi Knight-like
Fierce, when need be
(Sigh... That would’ve been nice)



V

I lift mine eyes unto the hills
Whence my sustenance comes
From Baby’s perspective, them’s MOUNTAINS!
Flowing with milk and honey


VI

How do I love thee?

With sly cock of his wee baby head little brother adds:
2 breasts to feed me plus
2 arms to hold me plus
2 legs to walk me ‘round my kingdom plus
1 heart to guide me... makes you the 
7-liest mama in the world!


VII

Tooth Fairy
God Mother
Chief cook and
Bottle washer
Taxi and typist
Bed-tucker
Bath slosher...

MmmmmmmaaaaMmmmmmmmmaaa!


VIII

Mouth so dry she crackles when she speaks of
Changes to come in my pre-teen body
Lays out Kotex on the bed with the belt 
(I’ve already seen it at school 
Two presentations - boys and girls segregated
Sweaty-palmed fidgeting giggles equally loud from both rooms Where Sex Ed movies tell what our adults cannot)
She sets out two books: Men and Women
Rhonda and I read and wonder. 
Well, how long DO you leave it in?
Only now do I realize how very uncomfortable Mom was
With everything about Sex Education
Wonder what it was like when she came of age in 1930?


IX

Camping trips
Writing song parodies
Adventurous cooking - Bouillabaisse, 
With unpronounceable exotic ingredients, like Safron!
Stroking my hair out of my face, moving it behind my ear
Ritual movement puts gauze in my head
Sounds of conversations fade
Falling asleep at the party, my smooth-haired head in her lap


X

Mom
Tried to be Gran’ma
Chose Bubelah as her name
(Approximation of Bubby?)
Career Woman/Bubby clash
No easy co-existing with these two.
Jealousy rising when Extra Gran’ma 
Cousin June has preferred elbow skin for 
Two year old granddaughter to play with while 
She sucks her thumb
Sorry, Ma. So easily hurt by the innocence of 
Children smelling the truth
Not much room in your heart for little ones when it’s so 
Full of YOU!


XI

Model of power and perseverance
Model of focus and purpose
Pinching pennies - the hold-over habit from 
The Great Depression
Yields surprising gifts later for your three children, Mom
Wow. How many years of shopping at St. Vincent de Paul?
How many cold nights of winter to endure rather than fix the heater?
How many trips not taken in order to leave it to the kids as
What? Restitution? Paying it forward? Therapy funds? 
Thank you. We had no idea. Clearly, you had some idea of The need.
Thank you, for that, Mom. Choosing to think you loved us.


XII

The sweetness of you feeding me applesauce, yogurt, bran, While I nurse my first born-at-home-daughter in the 
Afternoon light, trying to heal my torn-up bum.
The times you DID show up. You DID come through,
When I got the measles and couldn’t nurse my babe. 
Broken blood vessels in my eyes from coughing so hard.   Measles in my throat
Mark called. You came, when asked.
I think now, it was not because you didn’t want to, but that                 You were afraid of
Not being enough?


XIII

You stand on the shoulders of my Gram
Who stands on the shoulders of yours
I wish I could know all the women in our lineage
Thanking each in turn for holding up her daughter(s)
To the LIGHT, as high as ever she could
So she, we ME, I could thrive
And lift my daughters as high up into the
Light as ever I can...
And that granddest daughter in all the land...
Miss D... Your Bubelah Loved thee... as best she could!
My love for you, though imperfect, is unconditional

That much I learned from Mom
Love with no strings is the BEST love!

No comments:

Post a Comment