Sunday, March 2, 2014

Play Time

I've been thinking about play.

This week I'm in Burlingame assisting a training for people learning very wonderful skills for helping folks heal from traumatic events. There are over one hundred students, assistants and faculty here and a slew of nuns praying for us all.

The retreat center is on a hill surrounded by ancient oaks and sturdy pines. The buildings are stoutly 1920's vintage monastic light.  I'm in a cell-like room on the fourth floor. Our meeting room is on the first floor, so there are many opportunities each of these six days I'm here to run up and down the stairs. 

Landings between floors are outside, so you have to swing open two heavy metal fire-doors - one to get out to the landing of the floor you want, and one to get back into the building at that floor. 

I did take the elevator when I was bringing in my luggage, massage table, food bags and huge stuffed tiger which acts as mascot during all the Somatic Experiencing trainings I assist. Other than that first day, I've mostly taken the stairs…. mostly two at a time going up. Depending on shoes, I take them two at a time going down - unless I'm wearing my flip-flops, which tend to fly off when going down two at a time.

Morning before last, I entered the room where the 25 assistants meet for our instructions before class begins. I was just in time to see one of my colleagues do a cartwheel in the middle of the circle of chairs. This fellow is my age. We were all pretty impressed with Marc's perfect round off.

I have DREAMS about entering a room doing cartwheels, but shyness (or terror) prevent me from acting on the impulse.

Well, here's a guy who is not shy, not terrified - he's just so enthusiastic about life that I think it's catchy.

Give a look and see if you are as delighted as I am by Stephen Jepson's take on PLAY. And don't be surprised if you hear about some sixty-five year old woman doing her own version of a perfect round-off and cartwheel. (I'll be sure to take off my flip flops!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUf72dLf22c


No comments:

Post a Comment