Sunday, March 10, 2013

Celebrate Dance!


Generous friends treated me, my husband and two additional friends to a dance concert Saturday. The six of us sat smack-dab in the middle of the fourth row, mezzanine of the Alex Theater in Glendale - the PERFECT spot to see it all - and were mesmerized for two hours. 

Eight different dance troupes explored innovative movement, communication styles, spatial and emotional relationships, and the human condition. I was enthralled. Each of the six of us seemed to come away with a different favorite. 

Mine was the very first which was choreographed and performed by Jacob Lyons and Teresa Barcelo, who are also known as “Kujo” and “Toogie.” The reason their piece spoke to me most particularly can be summed up in one word: “Visceral.” Quick transitions between approach and reproach, outreach and shun, stormy emotions and harmonious glide intrigued and kept surprising me. It wasn’t so much a duet as a duel. Ultimately, I think she was a little hard on him - parrying his gentler approaches with feigned elbow slams to his torso. I liked the use of capoeira, gymnastic and break-dance moves which were as seamlessly incorporated into the dance dialog as a handle is slipped onto a cup thrown on the wheel by a master potter. I felt the impact of their explorations in my gut - viscerally. Their piece was titled: Human Flotation Devices. Their company is Lux Aeterna.

Twyla Tharp wasn’t the first, but is perhaps the best known (to me) for coining humor with quirky flexed-foot-anti-classic-ballet-moves. Kujo and Toogie made liberal use of these iconic moves and showed unbelievable control in conveying disdain, angst, longing and outrage with muscles in their torsos over which most people do not have volitional control. HOW did Toogie say, “WTF” with her pectorals, abs and rhomboids? It wasn’t simply facial expression, but rather, whole body expressions of exasperation, excitation and glee. Masterful.

Recently, dance has been recognized as the best exercise to increase brain function. It’s a good thing because I was dancing in my seat all night Saturday. I’m inspired to renew my practice of jiving around the living room to some of my favorite music.

What’s YOUR favorite kind of dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment