Sunday, October 21, 2012

Autumn Leaves

Mama Barbara was fond of playing "The Autumn Leaves" on the piano. She played it nearly every time she sat down to play and, invariably, she wept when she got to the part "...but I miss you most of all, my darling, when autumn leaves start to fall." Something to do with an old affair. That was their song.

Michel Legrande's album I Love Paris held that song nestled in the grooves between The Last Time I Saw Paris and I Love Paris in the Springtime, I love Paris in the Fall. We played that album while I was growing up until the grooves were worn through to the other side. We could hear those side two songs coming right through in the background - and they were backwards! (Shades of The White Album by The Beatles.)

I wonder if CDs can be equally worn. I don't think so. Something different between laser light and record needles.

I wonder if Mom's old flame is still alive... or if they've met up in some heavenly autumnal forest.

**********************************************************


The best leaves for crunching are really crispy Sycamore leaves. They make the most satisfying "crunch" and emit a fabulous fragrance. You can also just pick them up and pet their velvety five fingers and keep them for years.

The best leaves, in Los Angeles, for use in autumnal decorations are the bright red Liquid Amber leaves. Those are the trees that drop Sputnik-looking pods.

Flat, prickly Oak leaves are the worst crunchers but they sound awfully pretty when a soft rain pitter pats them on green rolling hills of California's central coast.

May your Fall be cool and as crunchy as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment