Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Far Side

Looking through photos
Surfing emotions...
Where were we? When?
Beach camping again?
Wave after wave of delight and elation
Broadsided by grief - I hate that you’re gone

Wait! there’s more I wanted to know
Come back and tell me... then you can go.
You cannot return? You’re a free-floating spirit?
(Nor would you want to  - to a shell so decrepit).

Come to my dreams, dear and whisper your own.
Where can I find you when my spirit is blown 
By the winds of creation from this innocent flesh?
Who will be there for me when I take my last breath?
Will you be there for me when I take my last breath?
For the briefest of moments you straddled both worlds...
Your spirit went free; your body furled.
Into infinite space your essence was hurled
While tendrils of incense wafted and curled.
From our view-point here in the front living room
You were the bride and Death was the groom.
A spark so familiar in the dark of my chest
Caught wind and burned warmly so I could attest 
To the fact that your parting was sweet
Your journey in this plane now is complete.
The high that I feel when a birth has gone right
Is the high that I feel when I think of that night
That you left us all gob-smacked and awed by the glory
Of the timely yet dreaded end of your story.

On the farthest shore I’m sure you were swept-up
In loving embraces and faces that leapt up
To kiss you in welcome to the vastness of All
Who will welcome me home when I hear the call?
Will you welcome me home when I hear the call?

1 comment:

  1. Loved this! One of your best! I felt every emotion you wrote about! What a wonderful tribute to your mom and your journey! Felt the love........

    ReplyDelete